8.22.2007

Gone soft

Yes, I have suddenly found myself liking Joey Albert songs. Used to be that I just dismissed her as music of my titas. But now, I'm checking this out:

http://www.joeyalbert.com/

I don't know why, but just hearing her voice again after all those years of headbanging to grunge music and pinoy alternative sort of woke up some latent childhood memories in me, when my aunts would listen to her on the radio.

And now that I got all of thirty years worth of experiences, I just know when a song's lyrics is top notch. Just look at how poignant these words are:

Sa bawat pag-ikot ng ating buhay
May oras na tayo'y kailangang maghiwalay
Puso'y lumaban man, walang magagawa
Saan pa, kailan ka muling mahahagkan?

Kulang man sa 'tin itong sandali
Alam ko na tayo'y magkikitang muli
Hangga't may umaga pa na haharapin
Ikaw lang ang mamahalin

Two short verses, man, and it's a complete song! Add Joey Albert's voice and you feel the hurt and hope floating there somewhere between the lines, between the notes. It is so heartfelt it becomes a prayer.

Conversely, I am starting to hate the juvenile music of Parokya ni Edgar. It's as if they forgot to grow up! And please, what is the point of another greatest hits compilation?

They say middle age for guys comes when they start to get more "in touch" with their feminine side. Where's my Rage Against the Machine when I need it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home